According to the British newspaper “Independent” reported that comparing with the average level of EU, Britons is the fattest, drinking more and have higher rate of dieing from smoking among Europe.
The British Ministry of Health published “2007 England Health Facts” on October 22. The public data showed that every 4 adults have one is obesity. From 1998 -2003, the number of Diabetic patients has increased 50%. Reported that the eating habits of many Britons are very unhealthy. And they eat fruits and vegetables has been less than the number of EU average.
Reported that British drinkers of individuals also higher than the EU average. The most serious in the Northeast, every four adults have one alcoholism.
Moreover, Britain every 100,000 people have 288 people die from smoking. However EU average level is 263 people.
Although the rate of British teenage pregnancy has declined, comparing with other western European countries, in British the rate of 20-year-old pregnant woman is still highest.Tags: Health Tips
Teen smoking can become a lifelong habit. Help your teen resist that first puff.From MayoClinic.com
Teen smoking might begin innocently enough, but it can become a lifelong habit. In fact, most adult smokers began smoking as teenagers. Your best bet? Help your teen resist taking that first puff. These 10 tips can help.
- Understand the attraction. Sometimes teen smoking is a form of rebellion or a way to fit in with a particular group of friends. Some teens light up in an attempt to lose weight or to feel better about themselves. Others smoke to feel cool or independent. To know what you’re dealing with, ask your teen how he or she feels about smoking. Ask which of your teen’s friends smoke. Applaud your teen’s good choices, and talk about the consequences of bad choices.
- Say no to teen smoking. You may feel as if your teen doesn’t hear a word you say, but say it anyway. Tell your teen that smoking isn’t allowed. Your disapproval may have more impact than you think. In one study, teens who thought their parents would disapprove of them smoking were less than half as likely to smoke as those who thought their parents wouldn’t care.
- Set a good example. Teen smoking is more common among teens whose parents smoke. If you don’t smoke, keep it up. If you do smoke, quit — now. Ask your doctor about stop-smoking products and other ways to quit smoking. In the meantime, don’t smoke in the house, in the car or in front of your teen, and don’t leave cigarettes where your teen might find them. Explain how unhappy you are with your smoking and how difficult it is to quit.
- Appeal to your teen’s vanity. Smoking isn’t glamorous. Remind your teen that smoking is a dirty, smelly habit. Smoking gives you bad breath. Smoking makes your clothes and hair smell, and it turns your teeth yellow. Smoking can leave you with a chronic cough and less energy for sports and other activities you enjoy.
- Do the math. Smoking is expensive. Help your teen calculate the weekly, monthly or yearly cost of a pack-a-day smoking habit. You might compare the cost of smoking with electronic gadgets, clothes or other teen essentials.
- Expect peer pressure. Friends who smoke can be convincing — but you can give your teen the tools he or she needs to refuse cigarettes. Rehearse how to handle tough social situations. It might be as simple as, “No thanks, I don’t smoke.” The more your teen practices this basic refusal, the more likely he or she will say no at the moment of truth.
- Take addiction seriously. Most teens believe they can quit smoking anytime they want. But teens become just as addicted to nicotine as do adults, often quickly and at relatively low doses of nicotine. And once you’re hooked, it’s tough to quit. Consider this: Of adolescents who’ve smoked at least 100 cigarettes, the American Lung Association reports that most would like to quit but are unable to do so.
- Predict the future. Teens tend to assume that bad things only happen to other people. But the long-term consequences of smoking — such as cancer, heart attack and stroke — may be all too real when your teen becomes an adult. Use loved ones, friends or neighbors who’ve been ill as real-life examples.
- Think beyond cigarettes. Smokeless tobacco, clove cigarettes (kreteks) and candy-flavored cigarettes (bidis) are sometimes mistaken as less harmful or addictive than traditional cigarettes. Hookah smoking — smoking tobacco through a water pipe — is another alternative sometimes touted as safe. Don’t let your teen be fooled. Like traditional cigarettes, these products are addictive and can cause cancer and other health problems. Many deliver higher concentrations of nicotine, carbon monoxide and tar than do traditional cigarettes.
- Get involved. Take an active stance against teen smoking. Participate in local and school-sponsored anti-smoking campaigns. Support bans on smoking in public places.
If your teen has already started smoking, avoid threats and ultimatums. Instead, be supportive. Find out why your teen is smoking — and then discuss ways to help your teen stop smoking, such as hanging out with friends who don’t smoke or getting involved in new activities. Stopping teen smoking in its tracks is the best thing your teen can do for a lifetime of good health.Tags: bans, cigar, flavor, Health Tips, nicotine, RUYAN
What does this tool measure?
Click here to find out how much smoking is costing you.
This interactive tool calculates how much money you have spent on cigarettes in the past or how much you will spend on them in the future. When computing future costs, this calculator does not take into account inflation or the rising cost of cigarettes or the taxes on them. The actual amount you spend will be higher.
Although you may be surprised at how much you spend on cigarettes over a period of time, smoking costs even more when you consider illnesses caused by smoking. The more cigarettes you smoke and the longer you smoke, the more costs will accumulate from smoking-related medical problems such as lung cancer, heart disease, or emphysema.
Perhaps most importantly, this tool can’t calculate the costs that aren’t measured in dollars. Smoking will eventually cost you time and will take a toll on your quality of life, and it will likely have an impact on the people you care about.Tags: cigar, Health Tips, medical
American researchers in four monthly “Journal of Periodontology” the report said animal experimental results revealed that passive smoking also caused hazard to oral health, then lead to the patients with periodontitis lost cementum.
Researchers in the experiment firstly induced mice suffering from periodontal disease. Then let the first group mice lived in an environment with no smoking. The second group mice lived in an environment with passive smoking which was released from desalination of cigarettes for 30 days. Then the third group mice lived in concentration-type cigarettes environment with passing smoking for 30 days. Cigarettes bias was distinguished by the content level of several major harmful ingredients such as tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide.
The results showed that as long as experimental mice lived in passive smoking environment, no matter cigarette bias, those mice would loss cementum more easily than smoke-free environment. Researchers explained that cementum losing is the reason for patients with periodontitis have tooth shedding.
Researchers point out that there was evidence to prove relevance existing between smoking and gingival diseases. And their research revealed that passive smoking also affect oral health.Tags: cigar, Health Tips, nicotine
Some smokers thought that smoking is good for losing weight and staying in shape. However, a study from some scholars in Australia shows that the point of smoking can lose weight is just self-comforting. And smoking will bring a bigger harm to human health.
Australia, “Courier Post” on the 23rd reported, South Wales University and the University of Melbourne study found that smoking reduce your muscle, but not body fat.
Researchers made experimental observation of mice for seven weeks. A halt number of mice were put into a box with 4 pieces of burning cigarettes every day, and other halt of mice were put into a no cigarettes box. The result showed that the average food intake of mice in smog box is less 23% than other halt mice. But the body fat level is the same.
Researcher Charky said that smoking make reduce muscle, smokers mistakenly thought that to “slim down”. But in fact, your body still accumulates fat which is obviously not a good thing. At the same time, reduce muscle make smoker body get more harm.
Recently the United States National Health Institute reported that smoking can make long-term effect to human brain. The reason for smoking addiction is similar to the effect which drugs cause to brain.
The institute professors analyzed brain tissue shows that smoking causes changes to brain tissue. Although some people quitted smoking for several years, the level of brain cells in the two enzymes of smokers is still higher than non-smoker. The animal brain happen the same changes when they intake of cocaine or heroin. That shows that the changes of a similar enzyme in the brain are the reason for smoking addiction.
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that approx 45 million American have been smokers, Of the total population of 21%, and 23% of high school students smokes. The world health institute reported that at least 25 kinds of disease were caused by smoking. The incidence of smoker lung cancer is 10 times higher than non-smoker. One piece of cigar approximately reduce 8-11 minutes life. Half of long-term smokers died in middle-aged.
The World Bank made investigation revealed that tobacco disease made a global medical care costs reach annually 200 billion USD. A investigation was made by China, United Kingdom and America revealed that Chinese smokers was more than 0.32 billion, China was the biggest tobacco manufacturer and consumer. 63% of those smokers was adult males and 4% was adult females. There were two thousand people died of smoking everyday. According to the current situation, there would be eight thousand people died of smoking in the year of 2050.Tags: cigar, Health Tips, manufacture, medical
A Dutch study found that compare with non-smoker, smokers more susceptible to dementia or Alzheimer’s disease (AD).
Previously on the research results between smoking and Alzheimer are not consistent. The Netherlands Erasmus Medical Center Reitz and so on, make a long-term follow-up on the large sample of subjects, after that they making the re-assessment of the relationship between smoking habits, age and dementia or AD, vascular dementia (VaD).
Studies included 6,868 patients, and the tests are baseline age ≥ 55 years old without dementia. First, using Cox proportional hazard model analyzed the relationship between baseline smoking status and the occurrence of dementia, VaD, and AD dangerous. Non-smokers were as a reference group. Then, using Cox proportional hazard model analyzed the relationship between smoking age and the occurrence of dementia, VaD, the risk of AD. In order to study the apolipoprotein E ε4 (APOE ε4) allele, gender and age how to affect smoking and dementia, the researchers repeated the stratified analysis.
Results showed that after an average follow-up of 7.1 years, baseline (currently) Smoking related the increased risk of dementia (HR 1.47), AD (HR 1.56). The risk increased confined to those without APOE ε4 allele. Current smoking has nothing to do with VaD dangerous.
The study suggested that smoking will increase the risk of suffering from dementia, in the absence of such a role APOE ε4 allele is more significant.
In developed countries, 50%-60% of bladder cancer was caused by smoking which has been the most important cause of bladder cancer. Tobacco contains large amounts of toxic substances, and aromatic amines and acrolein is close to bladder cancer. Many studies showed that smokers with the risk of bladder cancer are the non-smoker four times. Moreover, accompany with smoking more and the history of smoking increased, then suffering from bladder cancer has correspondingly increased.
The latest one, “International Journal of Cancer” published a study that children in long-term environment and passive smoking, then these children grow up will significantly increase the risk of suffering from bladder cancer. The study also showed that every postponed five years start smoking, the rate of suffering from bladder cancer will reduce 19%. In other words, the younger to accept cigarettes stimulation, the higher risk of bladder cancer.
As a result, doctors always asked bladder cancer patients whether they have history of smoking, and resolutely ask them to quit smoking or stay away from smoking environment, so as not to affect treatment. Especially the night before bed smoking, which will extend harmful substances such as nicotine stimulated time, accelerated cancer progress.Tags: cigar, Health Tips, nicotine
Children are likely to be obese when pregnant mothers smoking.
A new study shows that if mothers smoke during pregnancy, then the children grow up will increase nearly doubled risk of obesity. The same study also found that those pregnant mothers who in habit of do not eat breakfast, their children will be obesity increased 1.5 times the risk.
Although this study did not clarify that children obesity have to do with mothers smoke during pregnancy, but the researchers speculate that mothers smoking make embryo can not get enough nutrition in the uterine, and after children born will be the hoarding of nutrition.
Follow-up Study Near 20 years.
Japan’s Yamanashi University School, Medicine professor led research team spent nearly 20 years on tracking study 1,400 Japanese women. This 1400 Japanese women had children between April 1991 and March 1997. Researchers collected and analyzed the growth data of 1000 these women’s children from birth to the fourth grade (nine-year-old or 20-year-old).
Researchers found that mothers in less than three months pregnant and smoking, their children obesity risk are those non-smoking mothers gave birth to the child’s 2.9 times.
Professor said this study shows that during pregnancy (even early in the pregnancy) smoking will affect children health for a long time.
Researchers speculated that the reason for occuring this station is embryo can not get enough nutrition in the uterine, then after children born will be the hoarding of nutrition.
The Real Reason is not clear.
“But we have not found out the real reason. The important enlightenment we got is should quit smoking.” Professor said.
Recently, a public health experts meeting was hold in Japan, the professor announced this study results during the meeting, and his study paper will be issued in a medical report in North America on the December.
According to foreign media on the 30th, a new study shows that smokers have higher risk of suffering from psoriasis. American researchers found that people who suffer from deeper nicotine addiction, can get a higher risk of skin diseases. But only after such people quit smoking 20 years, then become normal. The published in the “American Journal of Medicine” also found that smokers suffering from psoriasis, whose symptoms more serious. They think that may be the smog toxic affect the immune system of psoriasis part. In the United Kingdom, when the skin so fast to profile and replacement occurs, then the skin psoriasis affects more than 100 million people. Previous studies have reported the association between smoking and psoriasis, but could not ascertain whether smoking start earlier than such skin diseases occurred. Researchers reported that comparing with non-smokers, female smokers who smoked in the past have the risk rate of 37% suffering from psoriasis. And now female smokers have the risk rate of 78% suffering from psoriasis. The longer smoking the higher risk of suffering from psoriasis. Dr. Hyon Choi who leaded this study say that those suffering from psoriasis provide a clear motivation to quit smoking. He added that can through reduce the level of circulating immune cells then to reduce the body of the smoke-induced inflammation. Gladys - Edwards added: “It has always been our recommendation that psoriasis patients should make comprehensive smoking cessation programs to help them to improve the situation of psoriasis. The study shows that there are strong link between smoking and the risk of suffering from psoriasis, and this will undoubtedly benefit for future studies. “Tags: Health Tips, media, nicotine